Expected outcome / competence
Full and effective use of all mirrors fitted to the vehicle.
Mirrors must be checked carefully before signalling, changing direction or changing speed.
Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre (MSM) routine should be displayed effectively.
Assessment criteria (example = change direction)
Late use of exterior mirror before changing direction.
Did not use the exterior mirror before a significant change in direction.
Any situation brought about by the above serious neglect of using the mirrors, that resulted in actual danger to the examiner, candidate, and the general public or property.
- not using the exterior mirrors when essential
- using the mirrors but not reacting to the information
- not using the mirrors at all
- pulling up with no mirror checks
- increasing speed with no mirror checks
- late use of mirrors
The above is taken from The Driving Examiners Manual.
Where appropriate it has been reformatted and edited so it only refers to the driving of ordinary cars (class b).