Before setting off. You should ensure that
- you have planned your route and allowed sufficient time
- clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner
- you know where all the controls are and how to use them before you need them. Not all vehicles are the same; do not wait until it is too late to find out
- your mirrors and seat are adjusted correctly to ensure comfort, full control and maximum vision
- head restraints are properly adjusted to reduce the risk of neck and spine injuries in the event of a collision
- you have sufficient fuel before commencing your journey, especially if it includes motorway driving. It can be dangerous to lose power when driving in traffic
- ensure your vehicle is legal and roadworthy
- switch off your mobile phone.
Rule 97: Make sure head restraints are properly adjusted
You MUST wear a seat belt in cars, vans and other goods vehicles if one is fitted (see table below). Adults, and children aged 14 years and over, MUST use a seat belt or child restraint, where fitted, when seated in minibuses, buses and coaches. Exemptions are allowed for the holders of medical exemption certificates and those making deliveries or collections in goods vehicles when travelling less than 50 metres (approx 162 feet).
Seat belt requirements. This table summarises the main legal requirements for wearing seat belts in cars, vans and other goods vehicles.
|Front seat||Rear seat||Who is responsible?|
|Driver||Seat belt MUST be worn if fitted||–||Driver|
|Child under 3 years of age||Correct child restraint MUST be used||Correct child restraint MUST be used. If one is not available in a taxi, may travel unrestrained.||Driver|
|Child from 3rd birthday up to 1.35 metres in height (or 12th birthday, whichever they reach first)||Correct child restraint MUST be used||Correct child restraint MUST be used where seat belts fitted. MUST use adult belt if correct child restraint is not available in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle, or for reasons of unexpected necessity over a short distance, or if two occupied restraints prevent fitment of a third.||Driver|
|Child over 1.35 metres (approx 4ft 5ins) in height or 12 or 13 years||Seat belt MUST be worn if available||Seat belt MUST be worn if available||Driver|
|Adult passengers aged 14 and over||Seat belt MUST be worn if available||Seat belt MUST be worn if available||Passenger|